The course of a year at the largest aquarium in northern Europe
Besides the exciting wildlife in our aquariums, we have a lot of different activities and events during the year. You can find an overview of the events that take place, right here.
Activities in 2020
|January 13 - June 27
Hunters of the North Sea - With and without teeth
The spring theme takes you through the North Sea’s food chain, where everything revolves around the phrase: Eat or be eaten! There are many remarkable animals and hunting methods beneath the surface of the North Sea. Most people probably think; sharks, when they hear the word ‘predator’ - but they are actually present in a wealth of shapes and sizes! In spite of the fact that not all animals have teeth, they still hunt and eat other animals in crafty ways - some more bizarre than others. Did you know that a crab’s teeth are located in its stomach? Or that the starfish regurgitates its stomach out of its mouth to eat? The correlation between the animals and how they affect each other is the most important. Come and get a glimpse of nature’s amazing ways of solving the challenges of life for the tiniest to the largest hunters. Get up close and personal with teeth from sharks, narwhales and walrus.
|June 13 - August 23
Summer at the North Sea!
It’s sizzling with activities from dusk ‘till dawn at the largest aquarium in Northern Europe where you, amongst many other things, can experience:
- The Crab Coast, where you can catch your own crabs (NOTE: Can be closed due to bad weather!)
- Ocean View, where you can experience the Oceanarium from above and feed the many schooling fish yourself.
- The fishing boat Ship o’Hoy where the wind and weather of the North Sea first hand.
- Fishing auction (July 17 and 30). Tickets for both events can be bought here when they are available.
- The Whale Researcher’s Hut where you get an insight into the world of a whale researcher and get up close and personal with the whale skeletons from some of the ocean’s giants.
- Our new large out door area for both fun and relaxation
- Amber Hunt where you can go hunting for the gold of the North Sea.
- The enormous skeleton of the Finwhale from Blokhus (from June 30, 2020)
- 2 daily feeding in the Oceanarium at 11.00 and 15.00. The diver jumps in and hand feeds sunfish, sharks and the large schools.
- 2 daily feeding of the seals at 12.00 and 16.00. You can get up close and personal with the curious seals and watch them frolic around in the large outdoor seal habitat.
- And much, much more….
|June 28 - October 9
Hunters of the North Sea - A sense for hunting!
The North Sea’s food chain contains a wealth of predators, each with their own specially developed hunting methods. The summer will offer a wide selection of hunters of the North Sea when we invite you into the world of the large predators and see how they find and catch their prey. Experience the enormous predators in full size on Skandinavia’s largest interactive LED-screen; Big Ocean Window.
|October 10 - December 17
Hunters of the North Sea - The mackerel
One of the best known schooling fish of the North Sea is the mackerel. Autumn is the season for fishing mackerels and therefore this will be the Autumn theme. The mackerel is an effective predator who has developed special skills when catching prey. At the same time it is a popular target for larger predatory fish and therefore prey itself as well. In week 42 you can join us, when we dissect mackerels and demonstrate how they are able to perform its hunting strategies.
We’re open on December 24 from 10.00-13.00. We invite you to join our Christmas service with musical performances in front of the Oceanarium. Santa will come visit us and there will be feeding in both the Oceanarium and of the seals.
More than just fish
Did you know that The North Sea Oceanarium also is the venue of concerts and other exciting events? For example we are hosting the Herring of the year-competition, in which restaurants from all over Denmark competes about making the best old-fashion marinated herring. Multiple times a year we also host concerts with different artists. You can read more about these exciting events under Events and concerts on our page.