The course of a year at the largest aquarium in northern Europe
Besides the exciting wildlife in our aquariums, we have a lot of different activities and events during the year. You can find an overview of the events that take place, right here.
Activities in 2018
|February 9 - February 25
Explore the fascinating and mysterious eel. Did you know that a glass eel can climb a vertical wall?
Official opening on February 9
|March 24 - June 22
During Easter and the small Danish holidays
We've created a new exhibition in cooperation with the organisation Platic Change. It is called "Plastic Fantastic?" and focuses on how plastic pollutes the oceans. Among other things, the exhibition shows how plastic particles are found in fish, and you can come along when we go on a trip to clean a nearby beach.
||Once again, we are the proud hosts of the "Årets Sild" (Herring of the year) competition. Prominent, Danish restaurants compete in creating the best brine for pickled herrings. The brine must match the taste of this year's bjesk that was elected at the Hirtshals Fish Festival 2017. There will be samples of both the bjesk and the competing pickled herrings.
|End of June
New exhibition "Hunters of the North Sea" opening this summer!
We are already busy preparing and rebuilding to make room for the new, big exhibition that will open this summer: Hunters of the North Sea. Embark on a journey that begins with the smallest of plankton and ends with the largest predators of the North Sea. We are building new, uniquely shaped aquariums to give you a whole new experience and you will be able to watch gigantic whales, dangerous sharks, and enormous fish shoals move around on our brand new interactive screen, Big Ocean Window; the largest interactive screen in Denmark.
|May 25 - May 27
||This weekend the annual Nature-meeting will take place. It is a national assembly in and about the nature. For three days Hirtshals in converted into the epicenter of Danish nature debate and experiences. The North Sea Oceanarium plays a big role in this event of course. Read more here.
|June 23 - August 19
You will find plenty of fun and exciting activities at the biggest aquarium in Northern Europe throughout the summer. Our program includes:
- The Crab Coast, which is open every day (may be closed in bad weather). Here, you can catch crabs in our outdoor basin.
- Ocean View (open every day), which will let you have a look at our large oceanarium tank from above. You can also feed the shoal fish (DKK 20,- for a bag of feed).
- Ship o'Hoy, that lets you experience the extreme weather conditions that commercial fishermen endure.
- Trips to the local Fish Auction on July 20 and August 3. Here, you will get a glimpse of what goes on at the busy harbour and at the auction house.
- The Whale Reasearcher's Hut, filled with fun activities that will make you feel like a true whale researcher.
- The enormous skeleton of the fin whale from Blokhus Beach that will join our exhibition from July 11.
- Two daily feeds in the oceanarium - 11 am and 3 pm.
- Two daily feeds in the seal-habitat - 12 pm and 4 pm.
- "The living kitchen": an exhibition for children about fish as part of a healthy diet.
|August 2 - August 4
Hirtshals Fish Festival
Hirtshals Fish Festival is a recurring, annual event with lots of activities focusing on fish and fishery. Once again, you can try out samples, enjoy the popular fish buffet, experience a fish auction and much, much more. Read more here.
The day of the fish
On the day of the fish we offer fun and educational activities for your entire family when we spend an antire day focusing on fish as part of your diet.
|The beginning of October
Focus on seals
Throughout this autumn, we focus on Denmark's largest predator: The seal. We have both harbour seals and grey seals in our outdoor seal-habitat and both species can be found in the North Sea.
|November - December
||Every open weekend we will have special activities focusing on "hygge". For instance, we invite you to come make your own Christmas decorations on December 1st.
||We are open on the day of Christmas Eve from 10 am to 1 pm. Join us for a Christmas service on front of the Oceanarium with music, Santa, and real Danish "hygge".
More than just fish
Did you know that The North Sea Oceanarium also is the venue of concerts and other exciting events? For example we are hosting the Herring of the year-competition, in which restaurants from all over Denmark competes about making the best old-fashion marinated herring. Multiple times a year we also host concerts with different artists. You can read more about these exciting events under Events and concerts on our page.